The 3rd edition of MAFF Market Forum toke place on October 7-9, 2017 at Radisson Blu in Malmo. Market screening and doc post production held at cinema Spegeln.
2017 is the third year of the festival’s film industry initiative MAFF Market Forum (MMF) – the world’s first industry platform for co-production and collaboration between the Arab world and Scandinavia.
Consisted of the two funding initiatives MAFF Development Funding and Doc Post Production Platform.
MAFF Development Funding:
MAFF Development Funding is a pitch competition where projects are pitched in front of a jury, experts, and an audience. They pitch their project for the opportunity to win monetary development support. MAFF Development Funding was available for short (3), documentary (3) and feature (5) projects in development phase.
MAFF Development Funding was created with the aim to support feature, documentary (feature), and short films (fiction, documentary, animation, hybrid) in the development phase. The primary requirement for the applications to MAFF Development Funding was that the projects needed to have a Swedish producer connected to the project. Another requirement was that the project theme had a connection to the Arab identity, culture or exile.
Finally, eleven projects were invited to pitch their film to a jury in the MMF.
- “Backstage” Director: Afef Ben Mahmoud, producer: Khalil Benkirane, Swedish co-producer: Maryam Ebrahimi. Country: Tunisia, Morocco, Sweden.
- “A Hand Full of Stars” Director: Michael Schäfer, producer: Sabine Sidawi, Marco Gilles, Daniel Mann, Base Griese, Christophe Bruncher. Swedish co-producer: Neil Bell. Country: Lebanon, Sweden.
- “Apollo” Director: Tarazan and Arab Nasser, producer: Rani Masallha. Swedish co-producer: Cécile Forsberg Becker. Country: Palestine, Sweden.
- “Inshallah, It’s a boy” Director: Amjad Al Rasheed, producer: Rula Nasser. Swedish co-producer: Linda Mutawi. Country: Jordan, Sweden.
- “The Man Who Sold His Skin” Director: Kaouther Ben Hania, producer: Habib Attia. Swedish co-producer: Andreas Rocksén. Country: Tunisia, Sweden.
- “Back Home” av Director: Nisreen Faour och Rashad Alhindi, Producer: Carole Abboud, Swedish co-producer: Osmond Karim. Country: Lebanon, Kuwait, Palestine, Sweden.
- “An Expression of Halim” av Director: Kamila Mewaly, Producer: Heba Habib, Swedish co-producer: Alexander Mahmoud. Country: Egypt, Sweden.
- “School of Hope” av Director: Mohamed El Aboudi. Producer: Per Veialainen. Swedish co-producer: Jonathan Saruk. Country: Morocco, Sweden.
- “Brotherhood” av Director: Meryam Joobeur, Producer: Habib Aa. Swedish co-producer: Andreas Rocksén. Country: Tunisia, Sweden.
- “The Bath” av Director: Anissa Daoud, Producer: Lotfi Achour. Swedish co-producer: Michael Krotkiewski. Country: Tunisia, Sweden.
- “Strangers in my House” av Director: Nihad Sabri, Swedish producer: Maryam Ebrahimi. Country: Palestine, Sweden.
Doc Post-Production Platform:
Doc Post Production Platform is a project and initiative that aims to help Arab documentary filmmaker to finalize their films by offering in-kind post-production awards such as grading, sound mixing and distribution. The project has been established with the intention to support and encourage Arab documentaries, to promote it at an international forum, and to interact with Nordic producers and film professionals. Doc Post Production Platform was implemented in cooperation with International Media Support.
- “Into the Mist“ – Director: George Tarabay, Country: Lebanon
- “Lift Like a Girl“ – Director: Mayye Zayed, Producer: Mayye Zayed, Country: Egypt
- “Railway Men“ – Director: Erige Sehiri, Producer: Palmyre Badinier, Country: Tunisia/France.