MAFF Market Forum 2019
The 5th edition of MAFF Market Forum toke place on October 5-8, 2019 at Scandic triangeln in Malmö.
2019 is the fifth year of the festival’s film industry initiative MAFF Market Forum (MMF) – the world’s first industry platform for co-production and collaboration between the Arab world and Scandinavia.
Consisted of two funding initiatives; MAFF Development Fund and the Post Production Platform.
MAFF Development Fund:
The primary requirement for the applications to MAFF Development Fund was that the projects needed to have a Swedish co-producer (for feature and documentary projects), Nordic origin or resident co-producer (for short projects), and the project theme had a connection to the Arab identity, culture or exile.
MAFF Development Fund is a pitch competition where projects are pitched in front of a jury, experts, and film professionals. They pitch their projects for the opportunity to win development support. MAFF Development Fund was available for three categories; Short films (five projects were selected), Documentary films (three projects were selected) and Feature Fiction Films (five projects were selected).
- “Commedia” – Director: Myriam El Hajj. Producer: Myriam Sassine, Swedish co-producer: Olivier Guerpillon. Country: Lebanon, Sweden.
- “I am here but you can’t see me” – Director: Feyrouz Serhal, Producer: Nermine Haddad, Felipe Lago Coro, Swedish co-producer: David Herdies. Country: Lebanon, Sweden.
- “Motherhood” – Director: Meryam Joobeur. Producer: Instinct Bleu. Swedish co-producer: Frida Martensson. Country: Tunisia, Canada.
- “Straight to the goal” – Director: Tamer Ashry. Producer: Safi Eldin Mahmoud, Anna Elliot. Swedish co-producer: Shaker K. Tahrer. Country: Egypt.
- “The see needs to heave” – Director: Zain Duraie. Producer: Alaa Alasad. Swedish co-producer: Helene Granqvist. Country: Jordan, Sweden.
- “Ethel” av Director: Mohamed Siam. Producer: Faycal Hammoum, Francois D’Artemare. Swedish co-producent: Christer Nilson. Country: Egypt, Algeria, France.
- “Looking for Sa’adah” av Director: Areen Omari. Swedish co-producer: Linda Mutawi. Country: Palestine, Sweden.
- “The day of wrath: Tales from Tripoli” av Director: Rania Rafei. Producer: Jinane Dagher. Swedish co-producer: Sofia Reshmi. Country: Lebanon, Sweden.
- “A resume” av Director: Basem Nabhan. Producer: Basem Nabhan. Country: Sweden.
- “Habib and the thief” av Director: Naures Sager. Producer: The uneven. Country: Sweden.
- “Repression” av Director: Mike Malajalian. Producer: Abed Lotfi. Country: Sweden.
- “The girl in the mirror” av Director: Mohammed Tawfik. Producer: Mohamed mustapha El Taieb. Country: Tunisa, Iraq, Denmark.
- “The last dinner” av Director: Wasim Kashlan. Producer: Iyad Eid. Country: Sweden.
The primary requirement for applications to MAFF Post production Fund was the film to have a connection to the Arab identity, culture or exile.
MAFF Post Production Platform is a work in progress screenings of 20 minutes of the selected projects, which were screened in front of the jury and film professionals. Post Production fund was available for feature films (fiction and documentary).
- “Before it’s too late“ – Director: Majdi Lakhdar. Producer: Mohammed Ali Beb Hamra, Land: Tunisia.
- “For the cause“ – Director: Hassan Benjelloun. Producer: Hassan Benjelloun, Rachida Saadi. Land: Morocco.
- “Mica“ – Director: Ismael Ferroukhi. Producer: Lamia Chraibi, Land: Morocco, France.
- “State of agitation“ – Director: Elie Khalife. Producer: Elie Khalife, Mahmoud Korek, Nicolas Khabbaz, Antoine Khalife, Land: Lebanon.
- “The women in Block “J“ “ – Director: Mohamed Nadif. Producer: Rachida Saadi, Land: Morocco.
- “Captains of Za’atari” av Director: Ali El Arabi. Producer: Dina Emam, Rodrigo Brum, Aya Dowara. Country: Jordan, Egypt.
- “Extra time” av Director: Alaa Mosbah. Producer: Eslam Mosbah. Country: Egypt.
- “Suspended wives” av Director: Merieme Addou, producent: Karim Aitouna. Produktionsland: Marocko.
- “Their algeria” av Director: Lina Soualem. Producer: marie Balducci. Country: Algeria, France.